Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Daddy dance

When I was engaged I was friends with a woman from our church who was a mentor to me. I would usually hang out with her once a week and we would drink tea and talk about anything under the sun. She was one of those people who was only briefly in my life (she moved just after DH & I married), but I always felt like it was so fun and easy to talk to her. At the time, she had a 2 year old daughter who was absolutely adorable. Of course, our conversation often shifted to her daughter and parenting, since that was a huge part of my friend's life.

A rather small but significant story that has stuck with me was how she and her daughter always greeted her husband when he got home from work. They made it a point to stop whatever they were doing to welcome him home. Her daughter would do what she called the "daddy dance" to show how excited she was to see her dad walk through the door, and my friend would give her husband a welcome home kiss. She said it's one way for her and her daughter to show their love and appreciation to her husband, and it makes her husband that much more excited to come home after a long day at work.

I loved this story, and I tucked it away in my mind for when I would one day be a wife and mother. The mother part is still pending, but I have decided to have my own special greeting for DH when he comes home (since I am usually home first). No matter if he had to work late (or even if I'm annoyed that he had to work late), I have made it a goal to open the door for him when I hear his car pull into the garage. We hug and kiss and whisper sweet nothings. It's small and simple, but I think DH & I both look forward to when we are "reunited" after our days at work.

For the past two nights during our hug-and-kiss-welcome-home-time, DH has said, "That would be so wonderful if you were pregnant right now," as he held me close. I loved him for saying that, and it is something he has never said before that spontaneously or in that context. And it increased my desire even more to have a child there next to me to greet DH with a "daddy dance" each day.

16 comments:

A said...

What a touching idea, and how SWEET that he said that! Wow, I think I woudl have started crying!! I have been praying for you!!

Erica said...

What a great idea! You could also greet him naked...that might be a nice touch. lol! How are you hanging in this week?

Melis.sa said...

You two sound so sweet and so meant for each other. I hope sometime soon you and a little one get to greet your dh with a sweet welcome home :) ((HUGS))

Find joy in every journey said...

What a beautiful post! I need to be more welcoming to my DH when he comes home, thanksf or the reminder.

Missy said...

That's a great tradition. So sweet. Maybe you can call my husband and give him a hint. He works from home, so I'm the who comes home everyday.

Amber said...

what a great tradition thanks for sharing!

Jess said...

LOL, I love Eric's idea! G and I greet one another with a kiss and also wake the person up who is sleeping with a good bye kiss. It is sweet to be able to drop everything and greet the person you love.

I hope you will be doing a daddy dance really soon!

babyparamore.blogspot.com

Kelli said...

So wonderful to have had a mentor who impacted your life in those little, but so important, ways. I'm hoping your dh gets a daddy dance very soon!!

Jess said...

check out my blog...you have an award!

babyparamore.blogspot.com

One Who Understands said...

So sweet. I really need to be better about stopping what I am doing and welcoming my DH home. We do embrace every time he gets home but I am not very good about stopping what I am doing. What a wonderful tradition to start now.

strongblonde said...

this is super sweet. xoxo

ASHELY said...

I got chills reading that last part. So sweet! :) Go Daddy Dance! Go! :)

Melody said...

I needed to be reminded of this....great timing as I have fallen into the habit of frantically wrapping up dinner over the stove top as my hubs walks in. I think he finds me more flustered than welcoming and I don't want him to walk into that every evening. He deserves more than that. Thanks girl!

twondra said...

You have an award on my blog! (((HUGS)))

jones said...

I'm welling up with just how sweet your exchange was the other night. so lovely.

barrenandbelieving said...

How sweet! Someone once gave me that advice as well and I should be better at it. What a sweet hubby you have!