Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Unexpected action!

Today I very casually called the RE's office to set up an appointment for my HSG. As far as I knew, that and our appointment with Dr. RE would be the only infertility related items happening this cycle, and I have been very content with waiting to start treatments until next cycle. That is, until today.

The nurse called me back and left a message saying they want me to get my cycle day 3 blood work and an ultrasound tomorrow. She also said Dr. RE is calling Dr. Uro to go over my DH's SA's!!

Honestly, my heart skipped a happy beat when I heard this message. I get to do something! We're that much closer to an IUI! Dr. RE is being proactive about figuring out our MFI with Dr. Uro!

I became giddy. Oh, it doesn't take much to sprinkle some extra hope into my infertile heart -- just a blood test or two, really. :) I then started to wonder if we could even do an IUI THIS cycle....

But I had to quickly banish that thought. It wouldn't be wise to start taking clomid, get an HSG, and then find out my tubes are blocked, right? I mean, why pay the money for the drugs and endure potential side effects if I don't even know for sure that an egg can get through my fallopian tubes? Right??

(Secretly I'm hoping you'll tell me it's no problem and I should just go for it, but I can't shake the thought that the more logical thing to do is to still wait until next cycle.)

Either way, I'm excited. And that darn FSH better not get any higher. (For ICLWer's or new readers, my FSH was 8.7)

20 comments:

tomi said...

I hope things go well tomorrow.

:)

*iclw*

Kerri said...

Great news! I'm glad things seem to be moving forward for you. That's very encouraging. And your 2 night get-away trip sounds great- I'm thinking my DH and I need to plan one too!
-ICLW

barrenandbelieving said...

yippee for hope and unexpected action! I say go for it with the drugs this cycle, your tubes are probably just fine. :)

Melissa G said...

So here's my take. Your chances of getting pregnant are increased for up to three cycles after an HSG. I personally know two women who got pg after an HSG. And with the accuracy of an IUI I would think that would up your chances even more.

If it were meeeeeeee: I would go for it this cycle.

But your chances will still be great the next two months. So if you decide to play it safe I'm sure it will work out too. EITHER WAY. I hope you see a BFP very soon!

Flutterby918 said...

Good luck with your HSG, I was pretty nervous for mine and it was slightly painful, like menstrual cramps, but not too horrible. And wait on the IUI, if even they offer it.....supposedly after the HSG your chances are better the following couple of months. :)
ICLW

Nichole said...

That is great news! During this process of seemingly endless bad news, it is wonderful to get a little bit of good! So happy for you!

Infertility is Hard said...

I really hope you can get going on this cycle. Waiting is the WORST, as I'm sure you know.

And chances are your HSG is completely normal. I'm praying it will be. :-D

Hope Endures said...

What great news!! Hope all goes well today. It sounds like everything is starting to come together, all at the same time - so exciting! Praying for wisdom for Dr. RE & Dr. Uro as they discuss the SA results. And for good FSH numbers and great HSG results too! :) PTL for unexpected action!

Erica said...

Good luck today. I hope you get the answers you want and can start ASAP!!!

olive said...

Good Luck with your appointment!!! This is my first time commenting, but I would like to thank you for your posts. I don't have an active blog but following the journeys of many of you have been very helpful. So THANK YOU!
As far of the HSG, I got pregnant (after trying for 1 year) the cycle after it -- sadly, I miscarried on Tuesday:(
I've heard from many people that your chances increase in the months after it. Best of luck:)

Liddy said...

Good luck with your appointment. I hope you get the answers that you want and you can get started.

Note to self, I need to start following your blog since you are an MFI sister.

Stopping by for an ICLW visit...
No. 95: The Unfair Struggle (male-factor infertility, good friends, neighborhood rumblings)

A said...

I hope you get good news today! Will be praying!

Pie said...

Isn't it funny that now we look forward to blood draws, taking hormones, and whatever else to move along with a cycle? I totally get it, all of that is better than just waiting around! IF makes us prefer blood draws to nothing.

Good luck with your HSG!!

entrusted said...

Sounds exciting! I'll be interested to hear what the RE says about doing an HSG and IUI in the same cycle. I'd probably be inclined to wait, myself, but either way you're moving forward!

b is for brown said...

yes. great news!!! praying for you. i do know from personal experience that an hsg and clomid in one cycle were a no no. but things are moving along for you and ain't it nice and encouraging!?

Hope in Virginia said...

Rare we get good news in the IF process - so I'm thrilled you did! Good luck! Hope is always good :)

ICLW #41

Astrid said...

This is exciting - you should go with your gut feeling on this one. And your gut seems to be very excited at the prospect of moving things along this cycle. Sometimes logic is overrated in this game of chance. Good luck!!

A Few Good Sperm said...

Great news! I say why not try this month? Clomid is cheap (compared to other IF drugs) and most likely your tubes are fine.

Kelli said...

I hope you get an IUI in!! How exciting!! If not, it won't be long now!

Oh, and my FSH is always 9.something...stinky FSH. =(

Betty Rubble said...

WOO HOO!

You go girl!