Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thankfulness

This past week our church studied "thanksgiving," and the Bible study and sermon really spoke to my heart. Both were those "aha!" moments where I saw the goodness of the Lord in front of me and my infertility seemed so small in comparison. After the sermon, we had a time of sharing as a congregation and I was so touched by what others had to say. One woman shared about turning to God in the midst of day to day struggles, including ones with her husband, and how utterly thankful she is that He there. Another young woman (who has downs syndrome) stood and thanked God for all the love she sees around her, and that God created her, "in her mommy's belly." Wow.

I want to share a few passages that ministered to my heart -- the first is from the Psalms, and the second two are from our church "study guide" written by our pastors and members of the church. I won't be citing it directly (shame on me, I know!), because in order to remain anonymous, I don't want to name my church. I figure they would understand. :)

"Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations." Psalm 100:4-5

"To choose an attitude of thanksgiving is to live a life characterized by hope. We know that our current circumstances aren't the sum total of what our future holds. Again and again, the Psalms express every range of emotions -- grief, fear, envy, anger, joy, confidence. What is notable throughout is the chosen attitude of thanksgiving." -- My church's Bible study guide

"[God] knows we need to say thank you in order to develop heartfelt gratitude. That gratitude, in turn, makes us hopelessly susceptible to joy, and with joy we can't help but live lives of hope. And our hope is in the risen Christ." -- My church's Bible study guide

My little list of thanks for today:
*my salvation and my hope
*my DH
*pina colada icees in summer
*begonias
*my house
*vacation next week!
*bbq-ing...especially vegetables!

What are you thankful for today?

14 comments:

Kelli said...

I am thankful for you and how you always encourage, challenge, and motivate me! Those excerpts from the study guide really make you think about an attitude of gratitude and how it can influence the hope and joy in life! WOW!

ps. My appt. went well - according to the u/s, all is quiet in there. I did get a voicemail that said LabCorp lost my blood so I have to have it drawn again in the morning before they will give me an all clear for stims tomorrow night!! But, I am THANKFUL that I can go to the LabCorp down here and don't have to drive another 4 hours!! :)

Melissa said...

I am thankful for your blog :) and many more things, but it's refreshing to see scripture on here and hoping it will positively affect others, so thank you!

Hope.Faith.Patience said...

This is so what I needed to read right now! I too am thankful for my salvation, my wonderful DH and my house. I am also thankful for living in a peaceful place, my health, having enough food to eat and having IVF as an option. Sunshine,chocolate and trees also rank highly on my list :-)

Betty Rubble said...

What a lovely, simply list!

Hugs!

A said...

Thanks for sharing this- I especially loved the chosen attitude of thankfulness reflection. It is so true and such an inspiration!

I'm mostly thankful for my DH, our dog, my sisters, and the beautiful days of summer. Among very many other things of course!!

jeanna said...

Thank you for sharing this, it is easy to get swept away with doctors and to do list and forget that God gives us the gift of life in His time and not ours. I am thankful for your post, my DH, my sisters and best friend, my home and church.

A said...

PS! I left you an award on my blog! Thanks for being such a great companion on this journey!

One Who Understands said...

I am thankful for a wonderful husband and for family that is there to support me! I am thankful for blog friends that understand the pain of infertility. And I am grateful for faith that things will work out the way God intended them to.

Thank you for this post. It is good for all of us to remember that our struggles could be worse and we are SO blessed!

Michelle said...

I am thankful that I found friends like you in this blogworld that can totally relate to my ups, downs and in-betweens. I don't know how anyone can go through all this without a support system you provide.

I'm also thankful for summer, vacations, my pups, all the love in my life and being healthy!! Love you!
~Michelle

♥Tabitha said...

My list is very simular to yours, with my salvation, my faith, my God and my hope at the top of the list! Thank you SO VERY MUCH for being so positive, it really lifts my mood and keeps me going strong! YOu are such a blessing!

Melody said...

* my relationship with God
* laughter
* encouragement from others at just the right time
* chocolate

Indy said...

-I'm grateful that God has given me the opportunity to meet so many wonderful women like you in the blogosphere...
-I'm grateful for the husband the Lord has loaned me.
-I'm grateful for my mother who has loved me unconditionally and sacrificially.
-I'm grateful for my profession (summer's off)
-I'm grateful that our in-laws are driving down from KY and staying at our place (I'm finally going to meet my newest niece).
I'm grateful for my church family.
-I'm grateful for my little sister, she is blessing from the Lord.
-I'm grateful infinitely for God's love that lavishes on me through the tiniest acts.

Thank you for encouraging us to give thanks, Hillary!

barrenandbelieving said...

mine is similar to yours:

~hope
~that God speaks to me
~my hubby
~my dog turb
~my job (even though it exhausts me)
~Being able to run
~blogging ;)

Hope Endures said...

Late to the party, as usual :)

Wow, I am really inspired by this post. So firstly I am thankful to you for writing it! C and I have been talking a lot lately about "choosing" our attitudes - something that comes so much easier for him than for me.

Today I am thankful that I serve a living God, who is all-knowing and all-powerful. My struggles are not a surprise to Him, because He has known every day of my life before I even drew breath. And I am so thankful that He loves me, and that His thoughts toward me are good - and that He has a plan for me, even though I don't always see it in action. (Sorry - having a little worship moment on your blog!)