Saturday, July 18, 2009

Memories

My college roommate is moving back to town next month with her husband. As I was thinking about her....

I remembered that she is an only child, and that it took her parents 8 years to conceive her. Eight years.

I remembered my aunt and uncle. They have no children. I asked her once why they didn't, and she said it just didn't happen.

I remembered my babysitter and her family. She watched my brother and I for 6 years, so we knew them well. One hot summer day we went over to swim at her sister's house as we often did. As we drove over, she explained to us that the baby we had seen in her sister's belly had died. As I swam and played without a care in the world, I saw my babysitter sitting with her sad sister.

I remembered that my mom and my aunt are 5 years apart in age, and that my grandmother told me once she had had a series of miscarriages in between them.

I remembered sitting in church in college and hearing that a couple had just adopted a baby. A year later I heard they adopted that baby girl's brother.

I have seen adoption, loss, and infertility....I just never knew. I didn't know.

11 comments:

Kelli said...

I can totally relate to this! You can't know, you can't understand until you've walked in those shoes. Those tight, uncomfortbale, worn out shoes that make you realize what all of this is about. Sending you big hugs and letting you know that I know and you're not alone. xoxo

Michelle said...

Thanks for the book info, I will have to check it out. I ordered one from Borders I'm waiting to come in, but I think I'll exchange it. The one I ordered doesn't really apply anymore, I don't think!

Thanks for always being so understanding, it means so much to me! Love you!
~Michelle

Melissa said...

exactly.

A said...

Isn't it crazy to the perspective that IF gives us? We are not alone for sure!! Praying for you!

Betty Rubble said...

Very true!

Hope Endures said...

So, so true.

Praying for you!

Peaches said...

All I can say is "Amen sista!"

One Who Understands said...

I look back on my life now and see the same things. It is amazing how it is all around us but never really affects us until we are in the midst of it all. Truly amazing.

Amber said...

so very true I can relate as well. God has a perfect plan with a perfect ending now its all about patience and waiting which is the hard part:)

MAK-now said...

Right?!?

Crazy!

KimboSue said...

Perfectly stated.

~ICLW