Sunday, July 26, 2009

A little sobering

On Friday Dr. Uro called my husband to discuss his most recent SA results. Actually, the funny thing is she called him on Thursday and left a message. He called her back and left a message telling her to just call me, since I'm more available during the day and "know more about all the information anyway." I think she just didn't want to talk to me and get grilled with questions, nor relay her less-than-optimistic news to an emotional, infertile woman....so she ignored his message and called him directly.

DH said that she and Dr. RE had talked and decided to, "Go ahead and try an IUI." She repeated that they really can't predict how the sperm will look post-wash, so this will be a way to find out. She also said that DH's SA results were not quite what she had hoped to see after the surgery and they aren't great, although they do fluctuate.

Then DH said he didn't want to "burst my bubble," but that her tone was really not hopeful about the success of an IUI. It didn't shatter me -- I knew this. I knew we were barely qualified for this procedure.

However, I must say on cycle day 6 of our first IUI cycle, it is a little sobering to know that the doctors don't have much hope for success. I know God CAN give us a miracle, and I am praying that he does. I am not discouraged, but I think my hope is a little more in check -- at the moment, at least. Hope is a tricky thing and can creep in all too quickly. :)

15 comments:

The Wife said...

Sometimes these things seem to progress in baby steps. And we can pray that maybe you'll take a big step this cycle.

Betty Rubble said...

God does work miracles!

Remember we were the ones who were told IVF was the only way we would EVER get pregnant--3 months later pregnant with injectables and timed intercourse!

Don't give up hope!

TheDales said...

To be honest, I don't take what urologists say to heart. My DH doesn't have the best numbers and our uro recommended the same surgery your DH had but after research we read it didn't always work so we opted not to have the surgery. When my husband last met with the uro he said we should go to IVF and that IUI wasn't worth our time. Of course, our RE said differently and honestly he is the one I'm going to trust more as he is the one who deals with IUI's and IVF's every single day. Well, two IUI's and I've gotten pregnant both times of couse you know the outcome after the BFP but that is my body and nothing to do with my H's SA.

So just know you have all of our support!! Forget the urologist! :)

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Sending hopes and prayers that the IUI will work and you will have your miracle!

~ICLW

Jen said...

try not to think about what she says too much... she's not an RE!!! so just listen to your RE and your heart and keep on praying! i'm hoping for a miracle for you too!!!

Kelli said...

Hope is a tricky little thing! It can sneak out just as quickly as it sneaks in, so nourish it with lots of prayer and time with God - (I'm really talking to myself in your comment box b/c my hope is being mysterious lately). Miracles happen!! xoxo

A said...

I'm sorry they doc didn't sound too confident, but as everyone else has said, God works miracles and does not need a prerequisite SA to do them! I get hopeful SO easily, though, so I know how hard it is to try and be realistic at the same time as eternally hopeful. I will be praying for you!!

Infertility is Hard said...

I'm sorry for this sobering news. I guess at this point, all you can do is really try. Who knows. . . maybe your husband's numbers post wash will look pretty darn good. I hope and pray so. :-D

entrusted said...

I've learned not to put too much stock in doctor's "feelings" about cycle outcomes. Their feelings are no more factual than ours. I've had docs tell me they're sure a cycle will work, and I've had docs tell me they don't think treatments will work for us at all. As your other commenters have pointed out, only God can really give life!

barrenandbelieving said...

I have noticed that sometimes it is better when my hubby tells me bad news rather than hearing it from someone who isn't gentle with my heart. Sorry that your results weren't better but glad that the you have the outlook that God can do a miracle. He can! Hope is tricky but it is evidence that you have true faith.

One Who Understands said...

You are right, God can give you a miracle. Stay positive and we will pray for DH little men to be strong and fast. ;)

Making Babies said...

Keep the faith! It's all we have.

Pop on over to my blog, I gave you an award!

x

Jendeis said...

It's funny your urologist won't speak to you, and one of our urologists wouldn't speak to JD without me there. Weird. (I just assumed it was because JD is so hard to deal with when it comes to medical issues, but maybe all urologists are impossible. :)

Amber said...

God works miracles even when the doctors say you have no hope so Im praying for a miracle for you two!

Erica said...

Well, an IUI is a chance you haven't had before, right? So that's something positive in the midst of all this shit. :)

Thinking of you and your DH.