Friday, June 26, 2009

Tiny steps

I spoke with the urologist this week. I called rather spur of the moment -- DH looked at me in surprise when I told him I had called. I'm sure you can tell by the tone of my posts these past few weeks, but I want to know what direction we're going. I want to know what our chances our. And I figured I'd ask our three doctors: Dr. Uro, Dr. Ob/Gyn, and Dr. RE.

Dr. Uro said the fever might affect DH's SA, which was sad to hear. But it won't affect it until the new batch comes in three months, so next week's SA should be a "safe" sample.

She wouldn't tell us what she thinks our chances of success with IUI are because it is about our "combined fertility." She recommends talking to Dr. RE about that. In parting, she said to let her know "how it goes." I don't know, I can't imagine calling her up out of the blue a year from now saying, "We're pregnant!" or "Thanks anyway for the surgery, but no luck here." But maybe if we do get pregnant, I'll be so excited that I would call her...?

***

DH & I had a real conversation about IVF last night. I've been researching and praying about it this week. As things stand today, we wouldn't do it. I'm the one who presented the concerns, and DH is the one who said, "I'm just not comfortable with it." I am in agreement, but that doesn't mean I'm not crying about it. And, of course, this is before we talk to Dr. RE. Things could change. But I needed to know where we stood, if that makes sense.

(And please know we are not "against" IVF overall. I am cheering each of you on who do it!)

***

Next week I will talk with Dr. Ob/Gyn and, hopefully, will get her opinion about our chances with IUI. I also want to talk to her about my weird cycles, but I already imagine she will say something to the effect of, "It could just be your body" and "It could be hormonal."

We will also do another SA sample next week. I wanted to do it at the beginning of the week so we could have the results by Thursday, but we have random college students staying with us through Tuesday. The SA is stressful enough to do in the morning before work, let alone with strangers in your house. :) So we'll see when we manage to get that sample in and get the results.

And then, hopefully, we will have an appointment with Dr. RE. I feel like by then we should have all the pieces of the puzzle and he can give his recommendations for treatments.

8 comments:

Melody said...

It's always just a little bit of a relief to take one more step forward....even if it means ruling one thing out, like IVF. I'm impressed you can get in touch so quickly with your dr's.

Melissa said...

I hear you. my dh and i aren't planning on doing IVF if the IUI's don't work. as of right now. (i'm not against IVF either in any way shape or form)

I hope that your RE can give you a clear picture of what to expect, good things only of course, and that you guys will get to start everything soon!!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers :)

Kelli said...

I hope Dr. Ob/Gyn and Dr. RE have some more information to offer that will help you make some decisions about the next step. I've come to "know" you pretty well over the last couple months and I'm sure the Ultimate Physician will be helping you in the decision making process as well! :)

ps. Random college students?? You are a brave soul!

Michelle said...

I hope that you get the clear answers you are looking for. I pray so hard that it all works out for you.

We're leaning more and more away from IVF too. It's not that we're against it, I'm just scared of it all, plus our insurance covers NOTHING! Ugh, why does this have to be so darn complicated?

I'll be praying for you! Love ya!
~Michelle

Betty Rubble said...

I'm holding out hope that you won't need the IUI OR the IVF. I'm praying that God's miracle for you is nearer than you think!

Hugs.

Amber said...

Good luck with everything I hope it works out. We also arent comfortable with IVF so I so know how you feel:)

Infertility is Hard said...

I know how difficult it is not having answers, and trying to figure out what steps to take next. Unfortunately the infertility journey leaves us all with huge decisions. . . decisions none of us have the experience or qualifications to make. Please know that I continue to pray for you and your husband.
:-D

Indy said...

I'm praying for you Hillary. Stay encouraged!