Sunday, June 7, 2009

Spot watch ended

I only made it one day into Spot Watch '09...I guess the competition was fierce.

The day after I wrote that post I started spotting. *sigh* I do want to give it one more month in case this cycle was just "off" because of my fibroid removal and the fact that I'm on estrogen.

If I continue to spot next month, I am again seriously considering going to the nutritionist I mentioned in this post to see if I can stop the spotting through diet... if it is a hormonal issue, I guess. I put those thoughts on the back burner since I hoped removing the fibroid would be the solution. Although....if we start treatments I might continue to wait, depending on what the treatments are. Too much is in the air, but all I can say is at this point, if I continue to spot, I am really going to do something about it when it feels like the time is right!!

Interestingly, the day I started spotting Amanda commented and told me about this post from Dr. Licciardi's blog. He's an RE who discusses various IF issues on his blog. Well, on Saturday the topic was SPOTTING!! It's a great post that sums up a lot of what I've read about possible causes of spotting. The only ones he mentions that I don't think I can rule out are endometriosis, hydrosalpinx (which sounds like it is usually caused by scarring from endo?), and hormonal issues. He does say there can just be no explanation, some women are just like that, and it isn't always a problem. Interestingly, he does say that women who spot usually don't tend spot when they are on injectables...which sounds like a hormonal thing to me. Anyway, if any of you are dealing with spotting you should check out the post!

I hope you had a great weekend!

10 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm sorry hun! I was really hoping that the surgery would do the trick!! Someone once told me that when everything is "up in the air" it's closer to God's hands... it's a little cheezy, but I've always remembered that little tid-bit. :)

Jen said...

aw man! i was hoping you wouldn't have any spotting too :-( hopefully it IS just because it's right after surgery and hopefully next cycle your spotting will be gone. i hope if you decide to see the nutritionist, you can get some good results!

Mary said...

Argh. Darn it, Hillary. What ever happened with the progesterone?

Jess said...

Dang! I'm so sorry hun! I was praying for you and hoping for the best! I know you didn't want to wait until next cycle-I know that feeling but maybe the spotting is because it is after surgery. I like the post the doctor wrote-he has a lot of experience! As for the nutrition thing, it wouldn't hurt anything to try it.

So frustrating-all we want is a baby! Seemed so simple when we were little girls. I thought the hard part would be finding prince charming-many was I wrong!

babyparamore.blogspot.com

♥Tabitha said...

Ugh...spotting sucks! I'll have to check out that post!

Mrs. Hammer said...

I'm sorry to hear you are spotting but if it helps women can spot ON estrogen patches. Give your body some more time to heal and go from there. (it took me three months to finally feel better from my surgery).

I did accupuncture during three IUI's and while they did not get me prego I did have pain relief. I found out that I had been miserable and was just dealing with "it," which surgery revealed was endometreosis. I'm not a new age-y person but my mom (RN) recommended it as it has been proven effective for hormone balance and fertility in a lot of respected medical journals lately. As weird as it was to have needles in my head, it worked for me and I'd do it again.

I read your nutrition post and as a dietitian I know that there are connections between diet and hormones but hesitate on the homeopathic nutritionist. I read up on homeopathic diet for my endometriosis and they recommended limiting high fat meats (which worked) but they also said to eliminate a TON of other foods as well (like all wheat, dairy, all meat but fish - I was STARVING!). And they wanted me to pay $100's more for supplements which didn't help either. I took what worked and left the rest but would not recommend paying $400 for their advice. Some of what they suggested was inaccurate and their degrees are not always from valid/reputable schools. You might feel better eating mainly chicken/turkey, fish, low to fat-free dairy (i.e. reducing your saturated fat intake to as low as possible), include soy in your diet, whole grains, fruits/veggies, keeping your sugar intake low, and caffine less than 50mg/day. Of course you might do all this already. And to that I say, do what God leads you to! Can't go wrong there.

Melissa said...

gah! hopefully it's b/c of the surgery and estrogen? Hopefully next cycle you won't spot or even get AF ;)

A said...

Shucks about the spot :( I hope that it is just your body dealing with the surgery!! I haven't done much reading on diet versus spotting- hopefully some small changes will make a big (baby) difference! :)

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I am so sorry....

I loved reading your blog today.

It has been so much fun making new friends through the blog world.

This is my fourth month to have a blog. I am amazed at all the unique and fun sites.
I am posting about our recent Disney trip and have a couple more posts about our visit with the "Mouse" ....

strongblonde said...

arg. let's give it a month....

xx