Friday, May 1, 2009

The results are in

And there was IMPROVEMENT in my DH's count and motility!!! Oh my gosh!! I almost feel like I got a BFP today. :)

I think we were both preparing ourselves for bad news all week (hence me being an emotional wreck). Last night I prayed and prayed for peace. I wanted to be able to surrender to God whatever the outcome of today's SA was, and I just prayed and prayed. I had written a blog post in my head to tell you all the bad news.

And this morning as we got ready for the doctor's appointment we were so very quiet together. My heart rate steadily increased as the time of our appointment drew nearer. We drove separately since we each had to go to work afterward, and I put on my Dashb.oard Confessional cd that I haven't listened to in a few years. I feel like an angsty 16 year old when I play that, but I had so much emotion rumbling through me that only emo music would do (and even though the songs are about lost love, heartache, and betrayal, somehow the sense of loss feelings seemed to match my own emotions...). I turned it up loud and sang loud.

Once we were at the urologists office, the nurse took DH's vitals while his chart was sitting there on the counter. And I saw the SA results clipped to the top but couldn't read it! She even said, "It looks like we have the results from yesterday," and as she left the room I hoped she would just leave them on the counter. But she took them. We were soooo close.

But it was only a few minutes later that the doctor came in and we heard some beautiful words. His count increased dramatically. The motility increased some. In her opinion, we would be candidates for IUI with these numbers! Not just straight to IVF without passing go.

SA 1 (November 2008):
Volume: 6 m/l
Count: 74 million
Motility: 3%
Total motile: 13.32 million

SA 3 (April 2009):
Volume: 4 m/l
Count: 145 million!!!
Motility: 10%
Total motile: 58 million!!

As you can see, the motility percentage is still very low (50% motility is normal). But since it is a percentage and the count is excellent, it is not as huge of a problem. I have read the many doctors like to see 10 million total motile to qualify for an IUI -- and we passed that threshold!! Whoo--hoo!! We're not exactly "fertile" or "normal" but I'll take whatever I can get.

21 comments:

Amanda said...

Great news! I'm glad to see he had such great improvement from the surgery. Once you get your procedure and heal up, you two will be good to go.

A said...

YAY! I am so happy for you!! What a great way to end your tough week!!

AJ48 said...

WhoooHooo! Happy to hear the good news!!!

Melissa said...

that's fantastic!!! Glad to hear the great news!! Can't wait for you to do IUI!! :)

Betty Rubble said...

WONDERFUL! IUI HERE YOU COME WITH A BFP TO FOLLOW! WAHT A GREAT DAY!!!!

CONGRATS!!!

gringa78 said...

So, so happy for you!!! It's about time you got some good news!! Yay for improved spermies!

A Few Good Sperm said...

Yay! Great news!

The Wife said...

Hilary I'm so excited for you! This is awesome news! IUI here you come!

Jendeis said...

Such wonderful news! That's tremendous improvement. I am so happy for the both of you!

strongblonde said...

this is so great. i am super happy for you guys!!!

xoxo

Mrs. Hammer said...

Yay! That is so great to hear good news for you both. You really needed it.

Infertility is Hard said...

YAY for better results. :-D

Hope.Faith.Patience said...

That's so fantastic! I'm so happy you got good news! I really hope your BFP comes soon!!

Erica said...

Thank God! I'm so happy to hear this girlie! Now you need to celebrate this weekend - do something special, just the two of you.

Fantastic news!

Jess said...

Praise God!! What great news! :) I'm thrilled that you will be able to try IUI...it will be no time before you're announcing your BFP!

babyparamore.blogspot.com

Kelli said...

What great news!!! Hooray!

jones said...

Such incredibly happy news and perfect after such a long week!! Hurray!!

Melody said...

Thanking God for this direct answer to prayer! Yahoo!!!!!

Caroline said...

Hillary - that is a great step forward. I am so pleased for you. C xx

WantWait&Pray said...

I have been meaning to write for days now......PRAISE GOD! I am so happy for you and your DH! Congrats on the great numbers! Does this mean you will do an IUI instead of IVF?
Congratulations!!!!!!!

kirke said...

That's a great improvement!!! I know after my husband's surgery they just kept getting better too....so maybe next time it will be even HIGHER!