Friday, May 15, 2009

The Office (spoiler warning)

If you didn't watch last night episode and are planning to, you may not want to read this post because there's a spoiler in it. Sorry!

Remember how a few posts down I said that The Office is the only show I watch? I love that show! I love the characters and each of their quirky personalities.

Last night was the season finale...and what a finale it was. Surprise pregnancy and all. *sigh*

I knew a new plot twist would be Jim & Pam having a baby. And I like them as a couple, so it could be cute despite my emotional angst surrounding pregnancy in general. But I didn't think it would happen so soon...I was expecting the wedding first!

And their reaction was so sweet. Thrilled, emotional, shaky, joyful...I teared up as I watched. I want to experience that with my DH! And the fact that it was a surprise pregnancy...she was probably on bcp. It just looks so easy. As I thought about it, it seems like most tv/ movie pregnancies are portrayed as surprises. I don't expect them to portray infertility (how's that for comedy), but doesn't hollywood ever show a relationship where they actually decide to try for a baby and it takes a few months!?

We were watching the episode with friends, so I had to act normal and into it. I feel ridiculous saying this...because I KNOW this is fictional....but it was almost that same punch-in-the-gut feeling when you hear about somebody's IRL pregnancy. When we got home DH said, "Even Jim & Pam can get pregnant."

13 comments:

Melissa said...

DUDE! i typed that into my blog last night "and now pam is pregnant" but i didn't leave it up in case you hadn't seen the episode.

i feel you. it was so sweet watching their reactions but i was like, oh, and now she's pregnant too, knowing it's just a tv show...

ugh. :)

but it was a great episode!

Mary said...

There is a new Jennifer Aniston movie coming out where she has to do IVF or IUI. I think it's called The Baster. I believe the story line is that she is 40 and unmarried. At least these procedures are making their way into the public eye a little bit more.

Betty Rubble said...

There was a show dealing w/infertility a few years ago, I want to say it was called Inconceivable or something along those lines. Of course the ratings were so low that it was canceled.

Usually the babies on sitcoms come when the ratings dips...but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Sigh. Yup...I hear ya...even Pam can get pregnant. Sigh.d

Melissa said...

I totally hear you!!! DH and I were watching it last night. And, I got the same punch in the gut feeling. I just sat there. I didn't say a word and then the tears started. I wanted to feel the same way as Pam and I wanted DH to get all welled up like Jim. Stupid TV!! :0)

amandawheeler said...

It's like you were in my living room last night!

Blah.

Banana Pancakes... With no little monkey to feed them to. said...

I agree my friend, I posted about The Office today as well. What a slap in the face... we turn to good ol' Michael Scott and company to give us a good laugh to avoid our frustration and sadness over IF and we get slapped in the face AGAIN. Hope you have a good weekend.

nannerpancakes.blogspot.com

Fallopian 'Tudes said...

I agree. Pregnancies are always portrayed as surprises. I grew up thinking it was something that would just "happen" to me whether I was ready or not because hey, that's what happens, right? I never thought I would end up having to actually TRY (and try, and try...)

I think it's also the reason a lot of my friends still think they have "plenty of time to think about babies later" even though most of them are over 30. Media makes it look so easy, like you can just sit on your duff until you're 42 and if you haven't accidentally had five kids by then, just go off your birth control!

Although there was that one episode of the Simpsons where Apu and Manjula couldn't get preggo! LOL

strongblonde said...

we only saw the last 10 min, so we got to see that part. it was a cute reaction, but i am waiting for the explaination. my guess is that they went off of bcp's b/c they knew they were getting married and expected it to take awhile, but it happened right away. very typical.

still really like the show, but wondering what is going to happen next season

Erica said...

OMG! I felt the same way when I read the last Twilight book. :) I kept thinking, "she got knocked up by a goddamn vampire, and my doctor's can't even get it done?!" I hate fictional pregnancies - they're so perfect and shit. Makes me sick, really.

I hope you have a great rest of the weekend. :)

Jendeis said...

Didn't feel bad about it; guess I was zoned out into the Jim/Pam, Dwight/Rolph love.

I think the only show that I watched regularly that "dealt" with IF was Friends with Monica and Chandler; sort of also with Phoebe being a surrogate for her brother and his wife.

Infertility is Hard said...

Oh my gosh. . . I felt totally sucker punched while watching this episode of the office, which is totally my favorite show. Ergh!!! Right before the office was on, my sister called me to tell me about her surprise pregnancy. I was devastated, and thought that the office would surely cheer me up. Wrong again!

By the way. . . I am mailing your book for you on Monday. Sorry about the delay, it's been a crazy week. I hope you enjoy. :D

Jen said...

i cried too! even though they're not real, i was like, why can people who aren't trying always get pg?!

aphrodite2 (aka Brandi) said...

I posted a very similar thing on my blog last week! Lots of ((HUGS)) to you - this is going to happen for all of us someday - hopefully soon! :)