Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Imagine a world...

...where there are no internet search engines. Other technologies are the same as the present day. You could still have infertility treatments and an excellent RE. You could even still have your blog.

The only thing you couldn't do? Google everything like mad. Find every obscure thing that could be wrong. Diagnose yourself with something horrible. Predict your future based on some comment on a random web board that popped up in the search.

Instead, you would have to just trust your doctor. He would tell you that your bloodwork is normal, and you would believe him. He would tell you your best options, and you would probably choose out of the parameters he gave you. You wouldn't have to go home and second guess and worry about every.little.thing.

*sigh* This is my dream world right now that I am turning into my reality. No more googling for me this week....and I might extend those restrictions longer if needed. But I think google is making me crazy.

Disclaimer: Obviously, it is great to be well informed and overall I am so thankful we have the internet. I believe I have already made decisions for our treatment with more informed confidence and it has been a little easier because of it. I just need to learn to limit it for my own sanity. This is no way an anti-do-your-own-research post.

14 comments:

Missy said...

hehe, Dr. Google can leave us much more anxious than we started.

I've been gone for a few days, but wanted to say that it's great that your DH's motility improved!! Hooray!

And thanks for your comment on our own improved numbers. My hubby's count is 48 million.

Kerri said...

Oh my goodness, I was just nodding my head the whole time I was reading your entry. I can completely relate. I am the queen of self diagnosing on the internet. I can have a doctor tell me that there is nothing to be concerned about in a given situation, and then I'll go home, get on Google, and find a million different things to worry about. Life WOULD be a lot simpler without the internet- if we could keep our blogs! :)

Missy said...

Oh yeah, and you also asked what changes my hubby made. He switched to wearing boxer-briefs, is taking a ton of vitamins and supplements, and started keeping his cell phone in his shirt pocket rather than pants.

Betty Rubble said...

Oh how I long for the pre google days. When I first started I STILL thought I ovulated on CD 14...ha ha ha. All I had was parentsplace.com where I followed other hopefuls from month to month to month just knowing next cycle I would be pregnant...not unlike now, but very different for sure!

I'm firing doctor google!

Amanda said...

I really wish I could set google to block TTC related searches too! Lately my new thing is google book search. I have been reading reproductive endocrinology books on it. I think it's slightly healthier, cause it's from a reputable source and not some idiots on a chat board.

A Few Good Sperm said...

Sounds like heaven.

Infertility is Hard said...

You sound so much like me. Seriously, we can really be our own worst enemies. Google can be so dangerous. I know I've had a few sob fests because of it. :-(

♥Tabitha said...

I completely agree. Google can be dangerous! But just remember, being aware of the problem is the first step...lol! =)

Fallopian 'Tudes said...

I often wonder how much easier it would be if I didn't have the internet. If I just thought "I'm pregnant, so I'm having a baby!"... If I just relied on a few wise words from my doctor and my mom. Seems to have worked for generations and generations before us...

Kelli said...

lol my dh gives me a hard time about trusting google more than my doctor - it's a sickness in and of itself!

Erica said...

It's so hard, but Google can be evil. I googled beta websites all week. DH finally yelled at me. Well, he didn't yell, but he did get pretty firm. LOL!

Thinking of you.

Caroline said...

Yes - Google can be a source of hope and inspiration or a source of despair!

ASHELY said...

I have tagged you for an award, please go to my blog.

Amber said...

Google can definitely be helpful sometimes but can also be a dangerous tool as well.