Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Home from surgery

I'm home from surgery and feeling surprisingly well!! Thank you for all of your prayers and well wishes -- I very much appreciate them. :) Overall the day was pretty uneventful and everything went smoothly!

Before getting me set up for surgery, I had to pee in a cup for a pregnancy test (I knew I wasn't pregnant, but I appreciate that they make sure!). However, I hadn't drank anything since about 8pm last night, peed when I woke up this morning, and it was about 11:30am at that point. Needless to say, I had NOTHING to pee. Nada. I tried and tried and tried...ran the water, put my hand under the water....but felt absolutely no urge to pee. I got a little stressed at this point and wondered if they might cancel my surgery if I couldn't prove I wasn't pregnant!! However, they just hooked me up to my IV and ran some fluids to generate some pee in me, and it worked. :)

They let my DH wait with me until I was wheeled back, and we had a private little room. It was so nice to have him there and it took my mind off of any fears that could have surfaced. I looked at a home decorating magazine and DH and I daydreamed together about things we would like to do to our house, which was fun.

I was a little nervous about being put under with the anaesthesia, and it really is a bizarre experience! I started to get really really dizzy, but I didn't know he had started giving me any of the anaesthesia! I actually started to panic that something was wrong with me and they would cancel my surgery, and just when I was about to speak up and say, "I'm REALLY dizzy," to warn them, the doctor told me he had given me some of the anaesthesia and that I might be dizzy. He could have told me that a little sooner, lol!! And just after he said that, I was OUT.

I woke up in recovery feeling like I had just had the most wonderful nap, which is what I said to the nurse. They asked if I was in any pain and offered meds, but I honestly felt only the mildest discomfort (I would say 1 out of 10 on the "pain scale") so I declined. Of course, I felt really sleepy and out of it, so they said to rest a little longer. They told DH to expect to come back to me in about 20 minutes, but apparently I slept for another hour!

DH spoke with Dr. Ob/Gyn after the surgery and she said it went well, although a couple things she hoped wouldn't happen DID happen. Hearing that wasn't the best news, but it sounds like it was nothing major -- things just weren't "ideal." One is that she hoped it would be easy to get into my cervix, but apparently it was rather difficult and she had to use a smaller scope because of this. Secondly, she had described to me in our office meeting that often times once a fibroid is sliced open, the "ball" inside will just fall out....kind of like a marble. However, mine did not just fall out, so she had to scrape away at it and cauterize what remained. I don't think this is anything BAD, but it just wasn't the best. Oh well. :)

They did give me advil in my IV and said I could take another dose later tonight....but so far I am feeling great. I have a prescription for vicodin called in, but at this point I can't imagine needing it. I just feel groggy.

I'll be on a low dose of estrogen for the next 4 weeks to aid with healing, can return to normal pelvic activity in 2 weeks, and then can TTC again in July. I can't wait! July here we come!

Thanks again, friends, for your prayers and kind words!!!

27 comments:

A said...

Awesome news! I am so glad you are home safely with minimal pain/discomfort!! Will pray that your July ttc makes a firecracker!

strongblonde said...

so glad that things went well and you are feeling ok. be sure to drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest :)

TheDales said...

Good to hear your surgery went well. Come on July!!

gringa78 said...

So glad things went well and it's OVER! Each step takes you closer and closer to getting pregnant...Fingers crossed for July!

satto said...

I'm glad you're safe and the surgery went well! You are a very brave woman.

Amanda said...

Glad to hear that the surgery went well.

Melissa said...

You sound like you're doing great! Glad to hear it wasn't too uncomfortable for you.

come on July!!

Jen said...

that's great! i'm glad it went well and that you just slept right through it all and don't have a lot of pain! july will be here before you know it!

Kelli said...

Glad your surgery went well, and you had a good nap, too!!

I'll be right there with you in the TTC department in July - can't wait!! :)

Find joy in every journey said...

Glad the surgery went well. One step closer to your little one!

Caroline said...

I'm so glad that surgery went well. Thinking of you. xx

RMCarter said...

Sounds like you made it through the surgery okay. I hope you continue to heal smoothly. :)

WiseGuy said...

Glad that you are taking it so well! Hope you strike lucky soon!

Thanks for the comment on my blog...I am still thinking over whom to choose...I was almost enthused on the Yoga, but the teacher's response stopped me on my tracks...Yoga is not wrong, the teacher's attitude was.

Let's see!

Infertility is Hard said...

I'm so happy everything went well, and I hope you are healing nicely and not in too much pain. :-D

A Few Good Sperm said...

Glad to hear all is well. Hoping July brings you even better news.

andrea_jennine said...

Glad to hear surgery went well!

N said...

congrats on an easy surgery almost pain free surgery! I hope you continue to heal fast. July will be here soon!

Hope said...

So glad to hear things went well! Here's to a speedy recovery :)

♥Tabitha said...

Yay! I'm so happy that it all went well! July will be here soooo soon!!

jones said...

So happy to hear that your surgery went well!!! Hopefully, it's all smooth babymaking from here on out.

Mary said...

Oh, I teared up reading that. I'm so thankful that it went smoothly. And now it's in the past and you guys and focus on moving forward. Yay Hillary!

Melody said...

So glad to hear things went well. I was praying for you on Wednesday and looking forward to this post.

MAK-now said...

I'm happy everything went so well. Here's to a speedy recovery!

**ICLW**

Melissa said...

That's fantastic!!! Wishing you a speedy recovery and COME ON JULY!!!! It will be here before you know it. I am so happy that all went well.

Amber said...

Good to hear that things went ok.

andhereweare said...

I'm so glad that it went well and that you are recovering. And it's very exciting to look forward to July now that this is done!

Missy said...

Glad to hear things went relatively well. Feel better soon!