Monday, April 6, 2009

The nursery prayer room

I'm sure many of us have a room like this in our house: the room that we've dreamed will be a future nursery. The one we may for now use as an office or guest room. Or one we don't use and just keep the door closed because it hurts too much. We have one, too, and it's just the "extra room." We have a couple of things in it that we're going to sell, but overall it's just an empty room.

Gradually, my DH has turned it into a prayer room. I guess he likes how there is nothing to distract him in there, and sometimes on the weekend I will find him sitting in this room looking like he's doing nothing....when he's actually praying. Honestly, I never thought much of it as DH did this and have never thought to go in there to pray myself.

I also had never made any connection to the fact that this room....which is our future nursery...is a prayer room. And that's kind of cool. I mean, what better place to pray for our future children?!?

Usually DH and I pray together before bed, and last night DH suggested we go to the "prayer room." Since it was pretty warm I didn't mind getting out of bed and so we walked across the hall....and it hit me. We were going to pray in the nursery.

I told DH this and that I want to pray for our future children here. We always pray for them, but last night we prayed with such joy and fervor as we prayed in their room.

I also told DH about a blogging friend who has begun praying for her children by name and that I wanted to do that too. DH and I have talked about names we like....and we both know which are our top choice names....but I have been too scared to "pick" the names. I didn't want to get my hopes up that much more, or get ahead of myself when we don't know if there will ever be a child to name. But reading Beth's post made me realize I have nothing to fear in choosing names...I am laying my dreams and desires before my Father who loves me. And I want to ask God for big, specific things! So last night, in our dark empty prayer room nursery, we named our future child and prayed for him or her by name.

Claire Charlotte or James Stephen, we are praying for you before you are even created!

10 comments:

Stefanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stefanie said...

There are so many people out there who carry you in their thoughts and prayers. Good luck with your journey, and may the Lord bless you

Melissa said...

I know he's listening.

A prayer room/nursery, that is such a sweet idea!

:D

Tanner's said...

Oh Hillary I love this post! I am praying for your children by name as well, standing along side of you and looking forward to the day I WILL praise God for the miracle you will be holding!

Melody said...

oh hillary,
I just love you guys! I had a similar room...our guest room. There was a pink sriped chair that I called my "prayer chair" and it was at that chair that I spilled many a tears on behalf of our future children. Mascara stains still adorn the chair that now sits in our daughter's room. And it was at that chair that I prayed for James and Claire and thier Mom and Dad this morning (as well as your sweet friend,Beth)

N said...

Great post and I LOVE your babies' names:))

Erica said...

Those are beautiful names, Hillary! Are you feeling any better about DH's surgery today? Often my feelings change from hour to hour - I'm hoping you had a good night's sleep and woke up with a feeling of peace and serenity.

Amanda said...

That's sweet that you are using that space for prayer. I like the praying by name idea, but I haven't ever been able to decide on one. However I will tell you that Claire is one of my top girl names... I love the actress Lauren Ambrose who played a character named Claire and so I love the names Lauren and Claire... If I had twin girls I probably use both of those names (that's until some new favorite girl names pops into my head).

Jess said...

I just happened to find your blog, and I wanted to say that this was the most beautiful post I have read! I love that you have a prayer room and that you are praying for your baby in his or her future nursery! I love the names you picked out also!

Jess said...

We also have a nursery, one we made when I was pregnant and I usually close the door but you have inspired me to embrace the room and pray for our baby in that room. We lay in bed every night and say a prayer and it usually ends with please God, give us a baby. Thank you!