Friday, April 17, 2009

A new IRL IF friend

A couple weeks ago I found out that a new couple we are friends with is dealing with IF...3 years into their journey. These are friends who, before knowing this, we have been really excited to get to know and grow in friendship with. And now...let's just say I am extra excited to have an IRL friend who gets it!!

They are a super fun couple, really down to earth, and very thoughtful. I actually feel like I can probably learn so much from her -- I think she has reflected and processed a lot about their IF struggles.

When we had our brief conversation two weeks ago, we both agreed we needed to hang out soon and have a nice long chat. This weekend we're sharing a cabin with them at our church's annual retreat!! As excited as I am about the retreat itself, I'm much more excited to hang out with this friend!! :)

We go to a fairly large church, and one blessing of this is that there are bound to be other couples experiencing IF so we don't have to feel so isolated within our church community. The flip side, as she put it, is that "we go to a very fertile church." She totally gets it.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

9 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, that's so great, Hillary. I hope the two of you have some good conversations this weekend. Have a great time!

Silya said...

It is a comfort to have an IRL friend who "gets it." My IRL friend is now pregnant after several treatments, and I was so happy for her when I heard the news, in quite a different way than I was for my other fertile friends.

Erica said...

It sounds like you've got a fantastic weekend in store! I'm so happy that you've found an IRL friend too. :)

Actually, a couple in our "group" of friends is in the middle of their first IVF. They quickly exhausted the IUI cycles and are really feeling panicked and alone. DH heard about it from one of his bowling league buddies (doesn't that make him sound like an old man?) and he talked to him today. Apparently they are both in need of some contact with people who "get" it. I'm emailing her later tonight and telling her about my blog - I think. I'm at least emailing her. I hope I can ease some of her fears and anxieties. Wouldn't it be great to start some kind of support group with women in the community? Hmmmm...I wonder if that's something that's already being done...

Anyway, have a wonderful weekend!

Melissa said...

That's awesome Hillary! I hope you have a great weekend. It's such a comfort to talk to people who know how you're feeling. :) Take care

Amanda said...

It must be great to have a real conversation with someone that 'gets it'. We go to church on sat night with all the old folks. I think every one at our church has kids or is over 50... it's depressing sticking out like we do.

A said...

Wow, I am jealous of your new IRL friends! I am like Amanda: "every one at our church has kids or is over 50"!!! Wishing you a blessed retreat!

Hope.Faith.Patience said...

I'm so happy you have IRL IF friends! It makes such a difference having someone to chat to, who understands. Hope you have a great weekend :-)

The Wife said...

That's so neat that you found someone. It makes it seem so much better when you have someone that you can share with IRL besides just your husband. I hope you're having a good time.

Parenthood For Me said...

That is great. It always amazed me when we found out about another couple going through IF hell. It was like an instant connection.