Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Losing my will power

Although the urologist said we could have the post-surgery SA done after 3 months, DH & I had decided to wait 4 months. We thought we would be more likely to get a 'positive' test by waiting a little longer, and we have read that some doctors recommend the 4 month wait.

Well, 3 months is up tomorrow
. And I don't know if I have the will power to wait the extra month!!!

All of our treatments hinge on this SA. Either we get to move forward or we have some huge decisions to make, and potentially more waiting.

I posted on the nest, and a few women whose husbands had the surgery thought waiting the extra time would be a good idea. I want to test and feel like we can always re-test after a couple more months, but waiting could prevent me from experiencing the heart break of a negative result. To test or not to test....

Can I just say this frustrating fact about male factor infertility and varicoceles?!? Sperm changes all the time, so SA's can vary significantly. And it can take up to a year to see the full results of the surgery. A YEAR! One of the women said it took 7 months for the surgery to improve her DH's numbers. Sperm and sperm production are weird things that take way too long in my opinion!

DH & I talked about all of this tonight, and he understood my impatience... so we're moving the SA up a little. We'll do it around the same time I do my HSG (which I'm guessing will be the last week in April or the first week in May), so it will be about 3-1/2 months post surgery. Then we will have as complete a picture of our fertility as we can get for awhile. I'm praying the picture is a nice, sunny fertility landscape without a cloud in the sky...

12 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Hillary,
I can understand your impatience about waiting. I think that your plan to wait 3.5 months is perfect. After the testing you will start to get a full picture of your fertility story. I hope that it's a nice easy ride to pregnancy for you and your DH.

Kat470 said...

Male infertility is SO frustrating! So much has been done to fix women's issues, but if a man has a problem. . . It seems to be straight to IUI or IVF. Very frustrating!

I don't blame you for not being able to wait, especially since the next steps all depend on that test.

I hope your husband gets excellent results. :-D I have my husband take fertility blend vitamins for Men, and his counts have really improved. I know not everyone buys into that, but the numbers did improve.

Melissa said...

So the potential answer is only two weeks away?? woot woot! Praying for the best results!!

I wouldn't have the patience to wait any longer than 3 months myself :)

Amanda said...

Sounds like you have a do-able compromise there. My guess is that you'll want do iui's anyhow and they check count and motility with every one of those anyhow so you continue to get s/a's as part of that.

Jendeis said...

Definitely a frustrating wait, but the compromise sounds like a good idea. An impossible task: not putting all your hopes on the result of this SA when it takes a while for the results to improve.

Hoping and praying for great results for both of you!

Kelli said...

3 1/2 months sounds like a happy medium! Praying for sunshine and good swimmers!

jones said...

I'd be impatient too! Hopefully, DH is quick to heal and only good news coming your way.

Mary said...

I wouldn't have the patience to wait either. Plus, you can always keep testing every couple of months, can't you?

Betty Rubble said...

I think thats an excellent compromise.

Good luck on both fronts!

strongblonde said...

i think that's a good idea. i hope the results look better :)

xoxo

Erica said...

Oh I hope it is too!

I hear you on the weirdness of sperm. My DH's sperm count has been the "problem" in our IF journey. Meanwhile, he's fluctuated a TON! My first 3 IUIs (about 2 years ago) his count went from 10 million/ml to 6 mill/ml to 1 mill/ml. After the 1 mill IUI, we were told to move to IVF as 1 mill/ml is extremely low.

Since then, we've seen it all. First IVF cycle (last year) 50 mill/ml. Yes, 50!! Some SAs in between showed around 16 mill/ml. SA last month - 33 mill/ml and today's IVF cycle produced 17 mill/ml. I keep thinking...can't I just conceive naturally? Maybe it is me? Or truly it is unexplained? I hear your frustration and hope to God that you get great news at the end of the month.

Rebekah said...

Why not go in around 3.5 months? It is so frustrating to have to wait, and I know how hopeless it can make you feel. I'm praying for good results, no matter when he goes in!