Monday, April 13, 2009

Further thoughts

Happy belated Easter! I hope those of you who celebrated had a joyful holiday celebrating the amazing hope we have in Christ. We had family visiting for the weekend and got to host an Easter lunch -- it was such a treat!

In the down time, I did a little more reflecting on our RE appointment. Here's my first impression list of how I think it went:

Things I liked:
* The doctor, nurse, and office person we interacted with were all very nice. I'm a sucker for nice. I know it doesn't directly correlate with receiving good care, but it sure helps.

*The doctor seemed optimistic about the varicocele repair. I have read on many blogs that people's RE's don't put much stock in a varicocele surgery helping fertility, so I was relieved he didn't make some back handed comment about that. He might not really believe it will work (I have no idea), but since we already done it he just acted hopeful that we might not even need IF treatments.

*He didn't just do a sales pitch for IVF. I was nervous about this.

Things I didn't like:
*Even though they were nice, I didn't feel comfortable until the last 5 minutes of the appointment with the nurse (who we met with after the RE). I really think this is just a bit of nervousness/ white coat syndrome, but it didn't make the appointment pleasant...

*The doctor and staff only come to my local office a couple times a week, and not even for a full day. I will be doing all tests and monitoring through "trusted" lab people here in town, but I do wish it was at their office. However, it is also not worth it for me to drive 45 minutes each way to go to their office!! If it felt like a problem I could start doing the drive in the future (there are no other RE's in town).

*I wish he had asked more questions or had more to say about the spotting.

*DH thought everyone was a little weird. I don't know what to make of that (I thought it was a strange comment to make and I don't really agree!).

*****

Thank you to everyone who participated in my little giveaway!! It was really fun to do, and I loved reading through your book recommendations. Some of them were books that I've already read, so it was neat to connect with you in that way and say in my head, "I love that one too!", and others sounded like great reads. So thank you!

And.....the winner is....through an online number generator.... Nichole!! Congrats, and let me know which book you choose! :)

10 comments:

Betty Rubble said...

Isn't it amazing what happens when you step back and ponder a situation?

Write your questions down for next time OR call the nurses line and ask that the doctor call you back. That way you can ask your questions now while they are still fresh in your mind.

PS...I'm sure most husbands would agree..its all a bit weird.

Melissa said...

I felt sort of similar at my first RE appt. I felt much more confident about the people at the phase II appt where they have the results of the blood work and your RE discusses what course of action to take :)

Nichole said...

I can't believe I won! Thank you so much! This is such a cool idea - one that I will definitely have to copy. It is a great way to share books with others! THANK YOU!

The Wife said...

I'm one of those that thinks of the questions after I've left the office. See how you feel after the next appt. Once the newness and awe have worn off a bit. ;)

Kat470 said...

I've never undstood why the RE's don't seem to care much about the spotting either. My RE said the exact same thing. Actually he said, "Well, it's not perfect, but it shouldn't be an issue." There has to be a reason, right?

Anyway. . . I'm glad things are moving for you. :-D

strongblonde said...

i hope this RE just gets better and better :)

Mary said...

I like it that he was supportive of the surgery working. I'm on board with him and hope that you just will need a little lovin' and a progesterone suppositiory to get you pregnant:)

♥Tabitha said...

I also have spotting issues, and no one seems to care! Not my old Gyno, or my new one, or my RE, or even my regular family Dr.! Sometimes I'll only spot for 4 or 5 days before my period, but sometimes it will last 12 days and no one seems to care! It's frustrating!

Erica said...

What?! A book giveaway?! How the hell did I miss that post?! I'm in on the next one. :)

Don't put too much stock into what your DH said about the RE's office. Quite frankly, I think it is our DH's who are the "weird" ones most of the time. They don't know what to make of all of this. They are as supportive as they know how, but sometimes their "maleness" shines through. I think your list of pros and cons sound reasonable though - with more pros than cons. That's a good thing!

Kelli said...

Hey sweetie! Glad you had a wonderful Easter :)

I'm so the same - as soon as I leave the office I think of questions I should have asked! I'm glad the ball is rolling for you guys!! xo