Friday, April 10, 2009

1st RE Appointment

If you would have asked me what would happen at our 1st RE appointment, I would have said we would talk to the RE and get set up for testing. And that's exactly what happened today, but it was a little anti-climactic. (Which is not surprising after I had waited so long for the appointment -- I'm sure I had it built up in my mind!).

We met the doctor, who talked through our medical and TTC histories, explained IUI and IVF a little, and told us that the course of treatment he would suggest would be based on DH's next SA. Again, just as I expected. He was professional and overall I felt rather neutral about him by way of first impressions.

We then spoke with the nurse who got us set up for testing and explained each test. DH will have another SA as well as some hormone and disease blood tests. I will have the cd 3 bloodwork, an ultrasound, and HSG. All as expected. :)

I'm either ovulating today or tomorrow, so all of this will start in about two weeks!! I'm excited to get some testing done. I brought up the spotting, but much like the nurse practitioner, he didn't seem too concerned. He said depending on what treatment plan we do that could bypass that issue altogether, and many medications boost ovulation and raise the progesterone which eliminates the problem. He also said my testing would give a better picture of anything going on with me.

And that's it! All this hype for nothing new, really. As DH said as we were leaving, they can't really tell us anything new until they do the testing and have some information. I'm just happy to be doing all the tests!

And, really, everything will come down to DH's SA. If his numbers are the same the doctor definitely implied that IVF would be his recommendation.

Thanks for all your well-wishes today!

14 comments:

Erica said...

Well, neutral or not, at least you've got the dog and pony show on the road! I'm happy for that at least. :)

Enjoy your weekend.

Betty Rubble said...

I'm glad you don't have a negative impression! Thats seriously half the battle!

Good luck w/your upcoming testing!

Kelli said...

It was only anti-climatic because you were so well prepared!! :)

The ball is rolling...let the testing begin! I'll be praying!

Melissa said...

I was logging on all morning to hear how it went (then I remembered you lived on the west coast) :)

Glad to hear that there's a plan at least ya know? Once you start doing all the tests though, time starts to fly!!

SO excited for you guys!

Have a great weekend!

Caroline said...

It sounds like you are able to move forward now. I'm excited for you!

strongblonde said...

yeah, nothing new...but you're on the right track now and on your way to getting some testing!! that's definitely a positive :)

Melissa said...

I am very happy for you that the appt is here and done because as everyone else said now it is just moving forward time!!! And, of course we will all be right here with you.

Melody said...

Two weeks will fly by and then you'll be getting more specific answers with each new test and that's always a step forward!I would suggest wearing some lucky underwear at each new test. :)

Sara Scissors said...

I can't wait to hear how it went...GOOD LUCK!!! :)

Amanda said...

I hope all the testing goes well for the both of you. It's not fun to be in waiting mode, but it is nice to have a little break from the baby making treadmill.

Mary said...

Let the testing begin! I'm so excited that you guys are on your way to baby making. Go Hillary!

Kat470 said...

Isn't it amazing how anti-climactic these appointments can be? We wait, and wait, and then wait some more for the appointment, only to find out that more waiting is necessary. Frustrating. :-(

I am thinking of you and your husband though, and I hope all of your testing goes beautifully. :-D

♥Tabitha said...

I'm so glad you liked the R.E. and that the appointment went well! Praying that your SA numbers go up!!

jones said...

Glad to hear that your RE doesn't think that the spotting will be a huge impediment. Though, my RE sort of brushed aside the spotting and at the time, I remember thinking really? what else could it be? Doesn't it warrant a bit more attention . . .