Monday, March 23, 2009

Short cycles

Anyone else out there have short cycles? Deep down I fear this is something negative that somehow makes me less fertile...although I am within "normal" ranges and have normal length LP's (not counting the spotting). Over the last year my cycles have ranged from 24-28 days, but more often they are closer to 24 days than 28. This has made it possible that before we have actually been trying 1 year (at the end of April) we will have completed 14 cycles.

Other than my lingering fear that this is bad (and I must say, it feels weird to ovulate relatively soon after AF!), I am actually really thankful for this. I read about many of your LONG cycles, and that must add so much stress to this waiting game that is infertility. I'm sorry you have long cycles! I am thankful I don't have to wait and wait to ovulate, and then have to wait some more for AF. I know that I am lucky. And as I look ahead to possibly starting IF treatments with the RE in April, I am thankful that I can do all of my testing rather 'soon' no matter where I'm at in my cycle...because before I know it, I will be on to a new cycle.

By the way, I started spotting today. Right on schedule. 7dpo.

11 comments:

Amanda said...

I don't seem to have short cycles, but I wanted to ask you if you've tried a B6 supplement?

Try taking a 200mg sustained release B6 everyday. A lot of people will get a day or two longer out of their LP.

Erica said...

I don't know anything about short cycles. Wish I could be more helpful.

If you end up going through IF treatments, your cycle will be controlled through drugs anyway, so try not to worry too much. It sounds like you are on top of things, which will hopefully make things run smoothly for you.

Caroline said...

I think that your cycles would still be considered to be normal. Maybe you are just lucky to have a shorter cycle! You are right - it means less waiting time.

Melissa said...

I don't have short cycles at all :)

I'm sure the RE will check out everything and help you guys conceive. Your appt is so close! woot!

Kat470 said...

Not trying to worry you, but my RE has said with really short cycles, it could always be endometriosis. but I think my RE was talking about really short cycles. . . as in less than 20 days.

My cycles are long usually. . . right around 35 days, and I don't ovulate until around cycle day 24. I've always wanted shorted cycles because it would give me so many more tries. In one year, my husband and I only were able to complete 9 cycles. Frustrating.

Have you ever had your progesterone tested for the luteal phase spotting? I spot sometimes too, and it's so frustrating.

poppy.f.seed said...

I've always had 25-29 day cycles(usually 26) I like it, in the ovulation way, but do worry about LPD.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Missy said...

I wish I had shorter cycles. The waiting is so hard and it seems I'm always waiting for something. I would talk about the spotting with your RE, though. I used to start spotting on 8dpo, but since I've been using clomid my lp is longer and there is no spotting.

And thanks for your comment on my blog. I did have the wrong dates! Oops. It always takes me about 3 months to figure out the new year.

K said...

I have usually have short cycles, have you been taking progesterone?

iambrowneyedgirl said...

I hope your RE is able to help you sort your cycles out. Sucks that you have to wait so long for your appointment though.

Good luck with ttc!

ICLW

Fallopian 'Tudes said...

Long cycles plagued me. Especially when I first came off the birth control pill. As long as you have a sufficient luteal phase length I wouldn't worry about it hon!

jones said...

Bah! I'm sorry about the spotting. I can relate to the short cycles - mine are normally 25-27. I've been thinking that it's more *chances* to finally get that BFP!