Sunday, March 29, 2009

A new record

As I sit and type this post, I am feeling the dull, achy cramps of AF who arrived today. I was expecting this to happen in the next few days, but was surprised about the new record my body set today: shortest cycle yet. This cycle was 22 days long, the previous record was held by a 23 day cycle. It still falls within "normal" ranges (ovulated cd 10 with an LP of 12 days) and I'm not worried, but it still seems pretty amazing. I wish my body would stop doing new and "interesting" things.

I wasn't really upset about AF's appearance, but I did meet my first insensitive fertile today (which was upsetting). She actually doesn't have children yet so I don't know if she's fertile, but I figure everyone is fertile by default until proven otherwise.

Backing up, I have to say I have been appalled at some of your stories of the things people have said to you about your infertility. However, I personally have gotten mostly support with a few well-intentioned faux pas, so I kind of wondered where you met all these people, lol! But today I experienced what it was like first hand.

I don't even feel like rehashing the story. Bleh. I was just floored by the insensitivity. However, I have made it my goal in this infertility journey to be as gracious to others as possible....by the grace of God. Her words were hurtful, but I stood my ground and responded kindly. If she still doesn't get it, I just won't talk about it with her -- I have plenty of supportive people in my life. Ironically, we're going to their place for dinner on Thursday (my DH is friends with her DH, but we don't typically see them that often). I won't talk about IF with her, but I will forgive her and treat her with love. My first challenge...

PS- I hope this doesn't sound preachy or like I'm trying to look like a saint. Trust me, I was angry and rehashed the scene with DH multiple times today. As I said, I believe treating her graciously will only happen by the grace of God in my life, because my reaction is to harbor resentment towards her. I understand how you guys feel, and don't expect you to respond to others in the same way. This is just me and something I feel like God wants me to do.

And I am sorry for all the hurtful things people have said to you. Hugs to everyone tonight for those words...

7 comments:

Betty Rubble said...

You sound like me...rehash it, then let it go. Its hard to always turn the other cheek, but it shows personal evolution in my opinion.

Good luck to you on Thursday!

HUGS!

Jendeis said...

I'm sorry that you had to deal with someone insensitive. It does stink, but I'm glad that you were able to "turn the other cheek." I think most insensitive comments come from ignorance (not in a bad way, just that people are unaware of the problems that others face, especially when it comes to IF). When I'm in a good space, I just say to myself, "they are doing the best that they can and so am I."

Kat470 said...

Sorry you had to deal with someone insensitive. I applaud you for being gracious about it. It can be very hard sometimes. :-(

Melissa said...

I'm sorry that she said something insensitive to you. :(

Kelli said...

Thanks for the hugs...you deserve a big one too - ((((hug!)))

bowl of wedgies said...

I admire and respect your response to "insensitive girl". Those are always difficult moments...I'm surprised sometimes I still have a tongue after biting it so hard at times! God will bless your desire to respond in a right way...you might be interested in reading our story of IF. I just posted something this morning.

gringa78 said...

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. It's ok to be angry about it...you're going through something very difficult and it wouldn't kill people to approach life with a little sensitivity. I admire your perspective though...letting it go so that it can't control you.

Thinking of you, sweetie.