Thursday, March 5, 2009

Just about to call...

Today, unexpectedly, I got a burning desire to call an RE and make an appointment. Nothing special triggered it -- I think life has just slowed down enough from the family emergency last week and the catch up afterward that I had time to stop. And I thought to myself, "I just want to make an appointment. NOW."

I looked up the phone number.

I picked up the phone.

And then I got...well, nervous.

I lost all my excitement. I remembered the conversation DH & I had last week where he didn't seem 100% sold that NOW is the time to make that appointment. Soon, but not NOW.

So while I held the phone in my hand, I called DH who should have been on his lunch break. I could check in and find out if he was ready for NOW. But he answered and I could tell he was stressed about his presentation that was this afternoon. I realized that NOW would not be the best time for him to think through our fertility plans. So we chatted for a minute and hung up.

I still had the phone in my hand. I could make the appointment, and talk with DH tonight. If, after our conversation, we decide not to make the appointment NOW, I can just call and cancel...

But then, I continued to feel nervous.

Never did make that call.

5 comments:

Mrs. Hammer said...

I have been in the position where I felt more ready to make the next step while Hammer was not. It's hard not to want to take the lead but remember - the next step is best taken when it is together. IF treatment is a team effort! Some of my best decisions were waiting for Hammer and I to be on the same page :)

Betty Rubble said...

Oh boy "the call" I can't tell you how many RE appointments I canceled because of those exact feelings! You will know when the time is right! I promise.

Melissa said...

Hopefully you had a chance to talk to your DH when he came home. I know I thought about calling an RE for months before I finally talked my DH about it.

Caroline said...

Hi Hillary,
Making the first call is a big step into the unknown. It can be pretty nerve wracking. I'm such an impatient person that I tend to jump in and make the appointment. I'm impressed by your patience and desire to wait for DH to feel right about it.

Becky said...

I was super anxious to make the call. And I did. And then I felt like I was going to throw up - a feeling that didn't go away even through the first appointment. Luckily, my previously reluctant husband was cool, calm and confident that it was time and that we shouldn't cancel any appointments.

But as others have shared, if you and the husband aren't on the same page, it's not time...

(Feel free to email if you want to talk further!)