Friday, March 6, 2009

I called the RE!

Last night DH & I talked about making an appointment with the RE....when I brought it up he said, "Oh yeah, did you make that appointment yet?" Clearly he was ready to go for it, and it was so wonderful to talk through the next steps we'll be taking on our infertility journey.

I have learned so much about infertility and its treatments, but I think I often get overwhelmed at all the information and possibilities out there. My mind flips back and forth...if we do this, then this will be next...or we could do that, and then see if that works...But one thing I love about my husband is that he is a very logical thinker, and talking through things with him gives me so much peace and assurance that really clarifies my own thinking!

So today I made the call, and our appointment is scheduled for April 17 (exactly 6 weeks from today). It felt like such a burden had been lifted off my shoulders to just have an appointment! Another relief is that she said to fax over my insurance info, and they'll call and get the details about my coverage. I told her I had a $5,000 lifetime max in IF coverage, but every time I call I can't figure out if they cover testing & diagnostics outside of that number or if it's included. She said, "Don't worry, we figure all of that out. We know what questions to ask your insurance to get that kind of info, and somebody from our office will call you with the details next week." Whew....

And I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to all of you for your advice about how to choose an RE in my earlier post. I was flooded with so many responses (thanks to LFCA!), and it really helped me to see that there is no "right" or "wrong" RE to choose. I know, I know....that's so basic and obvious! But seriously, I think I was putting a lot of pressure on myself to make that "right" choice, but reading all of the varied responses reminded me that different people prioritize different things. And it's ok for DH and I to choose one that maybe somebody else wouldn't.

So we went with the local office. It makes so much sense to us to start there...driving hours to the big city sounded like a horrible idea once we imagined it. And we'll go to this office knowing that if we don't like the care we receive, we do have the option to go elsewhere. We won't stay there because they're local, but we'll start there because they are.

Again, thank you.

4 comments:

strongblonde said...

wahoo. this is a huge step :) so happy for you!!

The Wife said...

Yay for making that appt. I know it can seem a long way off (I know mine did!) but then it somehow is tomorrow and you can't believe it's been 6 weeks.

Melissa said...

That's awesome!! i know i started sleeping much better after i made the first appt :) At my first appt they had me talk to someone in the business office and she told me what my insurance covered and what it didn't. So they made it pretty clear.

Less than six weeks now!!!

Erica said...

I'm glad that the appointment is set. Sometimes it's the "not knowing and waiting" that makes this all the more difficult.

Now the good question: What fun things are you planning for your next month and a half of IF treatment free time?