Saturday, March 28, 2009

72 Days

Today is 72 days past my DH's varicocele repair surgery.72 is a magic number in the world of sperm -- it is typically how long they take to form and mature into usable sperm. As of today, I am hoping that my DH has fast, forward moving sperm that know how to get going and find my egg!!!!

Although today he could have fertile sperm, the doctors say to wait 3-4 months for a post-surgery SA. I think this will be more likely to ensure that we don't get a falsely negative result. Plus, for some men, it is a longer process where the sperm start to improve slowly, and the full results of the surgery aren't seen for up to one year afterwards! I hope we don't have to wait that long.

So we're going to wait until the 4 month mark. I think it's the longest I can wait and stay sane, but gives us enough time for the *hopeful* improvement of sperm motility.

But just knowing they *could* be moving now makes me much more excited about TTC next cycle. AF should be here in a few days, and then I feel like we might be truly back in the game. We have definitely been TTC every month, but since we received the bad SA results in November I think I saw it only as some 1% miracle chance. Well, now we *could* be back in the 10-20% chance each cycle. Which would still be a miracle, of course, but one with higher odds. :)

7 comments:

Betty Rubble said...

It only takes one ;)

Amanda said...

I hope your all's next S/A (or maybe sooner) makes it all worth it.

Melissa said...

dude, that's awesome!! (it's almost April, the first 3 months of this year are already gone!)

Hope is such a beautiful thing!!

Mary said...

Hopefully, you will get pregnant and you won't even have to go through with the treatment your RE might recommend. Wouldn't that be great? A 'free' baby, lol.

Carrie said...

Yay for healthy sperm! I am so glad the surgery is behind you and you guys can look ahead... I am sure you are back in the normal range by now. :)

Happy ICLW!

Hugs,
Carrie

gringa78 said...

Yay! I'm so glad the past couple months are over and you're closer to your SA and to getting your baby! Best of luck next cycle...I'm thinking of you!!

Erica said...

My fingers are crossed for you, Hillary! I hope the results are positive. :)