Thursday, February 12, 2009

How we face our infertility

A few posts back, I described a conversation with a somewhat distant friend who has struggled with IF for years. She has processed, faced, and coped with her infertility in seemingly different ways than I have. Hers appears to be a more quiet, intimate struggle that has not been shared with many outside of her immediate family. She has also chosen to not do any infertility treatments outside of corrective surgeries.

In a comment to that post, Betty pointed out that she has learned that "each journey is different." How true! Through blogging and being part of the ALI community, we are meeting each other at different points in our journey. Some of us are further along the path, others are veering in different directions, but we are all stopping to certain rest stops together, to share, vent, hope, and seek and give support. So although our journeys are each unique, they don't appear as different to me as my IRL friend's did.

I am thankful to have each of you to walk with on this journey and that common bond we share. And I have learned through my friend that there are other infertiles out there that we share a bond with, as well, who might be more difficult to find. It is interesting to think that there might be many more infertiles around us than we think, and to wonder how many we will come across in unexpected places and ways.

5 comments:

Erica said...

Hi. I'm a new reader and was touched by what you wrote. I've only been blogging for a few weeks, and already I feel a comfort that I was unable to find anywhere else. There is most definitely strength in numbers. We are not alone.
Thanks for writing. I'll keep reading. :)

Caroline said...

Hi Hillary,
Yes, we are all at different places in our IF journey. It is wonderful to have the shared experience of other women who are going through the same thing, or have been through the same thing. I am so thankful for my blogging friends.

strongblonde said...

we are all different. iui and ivf is just not an option for some people. we have our own line in the sand. :)

Betty Rubble said...

I'm so glad that you didn't take offense to my comment! I was worried.

Thanks for the link back!

Gina said...

As some one who is fairly new to blogging, I can tell you that I feel 100% better after I get my feelings out. I also love reading other people's journeys and leaving comments for then. I think comments are a nice little way to make that other person feel good, and let them know someone else is out there going through a similar journey.

Great post.