Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy (belated) Valentine's Day!

We've never been huge Valentine's Day people. We've rarely exchanged gifts, and if we did they were small (I think DH got me flowers once). In fact, we can't even remember what we did for any Valentine's Day except for our very first one together.

But this year...this year was different. :) Valentine's fell on a Saturday, and since early January we've been planning and looking forward to a special day together.

As we were waking up in the morning M handed me a card. As I was reading the sweet note he wrote inside I started to cry a little. One thing in the note was how proud he was of me as we face infertility -- how could you not cry reading that? And I looked over at M to tell him how much I loved him, to thank him.... but he had fallen back asleep. :)

For our first activity , we went to one of our favorite breakfast spots in town. They have the BEST pancakes we've ever had. And lots of coffee.

Next, we went for a walk at a park that overlooks the beach. We love this stretch of beach. I forgot to bring my camera out of the car, so here's a quick shot as we were driving away.



In the afternoon we went to Borders together and read. While M read some rather educational material, I read something a little lighter. I'm not too far into the book, but the writing is beautiful:


We went home and began making our gourmet Indian dinner. We had fun planning and then preparing this meal. Chicken Tikka Masala, Baingan Bharta, Vegetable Biryani rice, and naan bread (from Trader Joe's). (A simple review if you ever make these: don't use as much salt as called for. The baingain bharta was not my favorite, but I would definitely make the chicken and rice dishes again!)



After dinner we watched Hancock and ate our special dessert. We had picked up this heart shaped tart from a local restaurant in town that always has yummy desserts:


I hope you had a nice day, even if it was intentionally not Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

strongblonde said...

wow. that sounds like a great day! dinner looked awesome. everyone is talking about food and making me hungry!!!

Erica said...

I'm happy that you and your hubby had a nice night. It's great when you can take a step back from all of this and just enjoy each other. What's the book about? I'm looking for some new reading material. I just finished a GREAT one - Loving Frank, can't remember the author, but it was really good! And, when you need to TRULY get your mind off of IF stuff, read some Jane Austen. I have to concentrate so hard while reading her novels, my brain can't think of anything else. :)

gringa78 said...

Aww! I love your Valentine's Day! How fun! Glad you guys are taking some time for you. Thinking of you!!