Thursday, January 15, 2009

Surgery complete! And I only cried 3 times!

We made it! We're home and DH is doing very well. Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes!!!

The procedure was performed at a surgery center, and it was wonderful. The office itself was beautiful and clean, and the staff that we interacted with was very kind, professional, and competent. They got M checked in right away, which leads me to....

Tears #1: Giving M a kiss goodbye and watching him go through the door leading to the surgery area. Like I said yesterday, I couldn't help but feel a bit of anxiety at the thought of what lay ahead for M. I said a prayer and held back the tears that loomed.

My IL's and I then had a quick breakfast down the street. We figured it would be awhile before the surgery itself would be under way and we would be back by then. Plus, they had my cell phone and it helped the time go faster. After returning to the surgery center, we waited in a really nice waiting room with plenty of comfortable seating, a TV, and coffee. I read and the time passed fairly quickly.

After about 3 hours from the initial good-byes, the doctor came in and happily told us that everything had gone well. She reminded us to ice the area, wear a "scro.tal support," and call her cell if anything came up.

About a half hour later I got the call that M was waking up in recovery and that I could be with him...

Tears #2: Walking down to see M. I was so happy and relieved that he was fine! But I was also nervous to see him suffering...

Tears #3: Greeting M. Again, I felt some relief, but really it was hard to see him so incredibly pale and out of it. I could tell he was in a weird drugged up state and he was still very groggy. I gave him a light kiss and almost completely lost it. I felt like I had willfully inflicted pain on the person I love most on this earth! What did we just do??

I sat next to him as he continued to wake up more and more. The nurse went over the discharge instructions with me. She told me he had been feeing nauseous when he first woke up so they had put anti-nausea medicine in his IV.

He woke up more and we moved the bed to more of a sitting up position. The nurse had me give M some water and juice through a straw. As he drank he perked up more and more and it was really amazing how fast he came "back to normal."

The nurse removed the IV and we got him ready to go, taking each step very slowly since M was obviously very weak and woosey still. We got him dressed and had him stand up. He said he felt a little nauseous again, but after sitting back down for a minute he said he felt better. We started walking out and he said he felt like he was going to be sick, and then within thirty seconds he was. Two nurses got him back to the bed, cleaned up, and checked his blood pressure again. We had to wait a little while longer, drink more liquids, and prove that he wasn't going to be sick anymore before leaving. Fortunately he really perked up at this point. While the two nurses were still with us he said, "Sometimes you just need a good barf," which made us all laugh. In a way it was true, he seemed much better after that!

He's home and sleeping now. Thank you, Lord, for taking care of M today!! :)

And the 3 month wait until the next SA begins....

12 comments:

Mary said...

Yay, Hillary! I'm glad you guys made it through the day. The worst is behind you, hon.

Now...you still have not answered when his next SA is and what your progesterone level was. Don't leave us hanging:)

Caroline said...

Hey Hillary,
I'm so glad that the surgery went well. It must have been stressful, but now it is all over!

The Wife said...

I'm glad everything worked out and the surgery went okay. I hope the next three months goes by quickly.

Betty Rubble said...

What a relief!

I wish you a fast recovery for hubby!

Anita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anita said...

What a stressful day! I'm so happy that the surgery went well! Hoping M has a quick recovery and that he gets a great SA in 3 months!!

*I deleted the last post because of a typing error :-)

Rebekah said...

Glad everything went well!

Fallopian 'Tudes said...

Oh that is so great! Good for you guys! I know that you're going to be taking extra good care of him :)

gringa78 said...

So glad to hear everything went well! You and M are in my thoughts. :)

oLiVe said...

Bless you for crying, but remember the reason why it was done :OD. Im glad everything went ok for him.

Melissa said...

I am so happy that everything went well. It will all be worth it in the end. And, I am very proud that you only cried 3 times, I don't think I could have been that controlled!!! :0) My thoughts and prayers will still remain with you and M!

Mrs. Hammer said...

Oh what we do for babies! I'm glad he did feel bad for too long. Nausea with anesthesia is not uncommon. He has earned his right to be babied. I'll pray for quick healing and good SA results.