Monday, January 19, 2009

Recovery

First of all, I want to thank each of you for your feedback and advice regarding the progesterone blood test results!!! I have many thoughts still swimming through my head about this and will post on this later this week when I have them sorted out. :)

I am thankful to report that DH's recovery has gone very, very well. Of course, he is still quite sore and experiences pain if he moves the wrong way (the whole process of sitting down/ standing up is rather difficult). But by Sunday he was feeling great in terms of energy and overall pain levels. He's back to work today (he has a desk job) and is just taking it easy.

If anyone is reading this or finds this blog because their DH is having the varicocele surgery, here are a few tips that I think helped make DH's recovery go well:
  • Ice!! They said to ice the sc.rotum for the first 24 hours. We followed this instruction very diligently and he continued to ice periodically beyond the first day. We think it kept the swelling down and helped with the pain management.
  • Sc.rotal support! You could use a jock strap, but there are these awesome sc.rotal supports that were created for surgeries like this. I tried to find a picture of the one DH has to show you but couldn't....plus it might look a little graphic, lol! The surgery center gave him one but he likes the one we bought better, and he will continue to wear it for some time (a week?). It is a must have! Email me if you would like more info on the one we got :)
  • Good ol' regular underwear (aka tighty whities) Once your DH gets tired of the sc.rotal support and doesn't need it anymore, this is next step down that still offers support and is more comfortable. Just remember to switch back to boxers when he's ready! :)
  • Rest. This is an obvious one for any surgery, but I'm so glad DH had so much time to sleep and rest these first 4 days. He's not one who likes to sit around, but he was glad he did too!
That's all I can think of for now. We're pretty much back to normal life :) I asked DH if he's going to be really upset if the surgery doesn't work after what he's gone through, and he said it really wasn't that bad. It was worth it for the chance to naturally conceive!

6 comments:

Mary said...

Hillary,
Your DH sounds like a sweetheart:) I'm so glad that you guys are getting back to normal life. That has to be a relief for both of you. I don't know very much about the chances that the surgery improves his next SA. Could you explain it to us?
Hope you are well,
Mary

April said...

glad that things are going well and you are getting back to baseline. :) (and hopefully better)

Caroline said...

I'm glad to hear that your DH is recovering from surgery. It will be great to have a chance to conceive naturally. Keep us posted!

♥Tabitha♥ said...

I just wanted you to know that I recently found your blog and love how you are putting your faith in God! He will definetly bless you for it! I'll be praying for you as I continue to follow your journey!

Mary said...

Hopefully, we both get our Carolines:) It is just the perfect name. I love that you love it so much too!

Betty Rubble said...

Your DH sounds like an awesome guy!

How great for him to have such a wonderful attitude! Go DH!!!