Sunday, December 28, 2008

On Christ the solid rock I stand...

We sang this hymn in church yesterday, and the words rested deeply in my soul. All of my hope is in Christ, and I have received more than I need, deserve, or desire in him. This reminder was like a loving hug from God that washed over me.

We were asked during the service to reflect on how God has been faithful in 2008 and to look ahead to God's faithfulness in 2009. I think it is through this suffering that I have been seeing God's faithfulness in my life in new ways, and for that I am thankful. He has been faithful to help me trust him and has given me a peace and joy that surpasses my circumstances. And I look ahead to 2009 and know that God could provide us with a pregnancy (the joy!). But I also know God will continue to grow and mold me even if that is not the case, and that is my true desire.... the greatest joy in my life.

At the end of the day I read this post from Walking the Journey (I hope it's ok to link your post, Beth!). A beautiful and heart wrenching reflection on the journey God has taken her on. As I read it, I felt like she put words to my deepest desires as I look ahead at the journey before me.

A final note to those of you who are not Christians: I hope this post and others like it do not make you uncomfortable reading my blog. My faith is who I am, so naturally these thoughts will seep out into this blog. And I know that suffering leads us to think about the important questions of life, and for me, those point me back to Christ. Please know that you are welcome here, and I enjoy reading your blogs as you ponder your own suffering. I hope I can be an encouragement and support to you.

I leave you with the words to the hymn, On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand:
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus' Name

When darkness seems to hide His face
I rest on His unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood
When all around my soul gives way
He then is all my Hope and Stay

When He shall come with trumpet sound
Oh may I then in Him be found
Dressed in His righteousness alone
Faultless to stand before the throne

Chorus:
Oh Christ the solid Rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand

3 comments:

Jendeis said...

Just wanted to say that I appreciated your note for non-Christians.

As for me, I believe that each person's blog is their own to write what they wish. If you get strength from your faith, then, obviously, you will write of it. I don't believe that it is unwarranted proselytizing, merely a declaration of your own faith. I find comfort and strength from your faith in G-D as I find comfort and strength from my own faith.

WiseGuy said...

Hello Hillary...Thanks a lot for the birthday wishes and for appreciating my post.


Well, no, it really does not affect me to be reading Christian or any other religion's blog. Your religious affiliation is your personal choice. In fact, I have become more sensitive, aware and better tuned to other religions through blogging. Also, I am able to draw parallels between the pain that people go through, irrespective of the names by which they know their God.

Good Luck!

Tanner's said...

Hillary-
What a beautiful post, I also gather much strength and wisdom from your words, and your journey, I am so thankful God is giving you strength to write your heart! He is using it!!