Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Low progesterone?

I walked away from my appointment today with a slip for a 7dpo progesterone test. Hopefully that is all the testing I need -- especially because it's all I got. :)

Overall the nurse practitioner seemed to think it was unnecessary that I came in. On the one hand I was glad that she thought my spotting is not a big deal. Maybe our issue is purely male factor. On the other hand, I was a little frustrated that I had to do so much convincing just to get a progesterone test and didn't feel truly convinced that the spotting is not a problem.

I am very glad I did get a slip for a progesterone test and she said I should go on progesterone even if the test does not indicate that the levels are low. She said some women just need "extra support" through the luteal phase.

If I need any additional testing I think we'll wait until after the post-surgery SA results -- I think the progesterone test is enough to satisfy me for now. And maybe it would be better to go to an RE for more tests, anyway.

7 comments:

Anita said...

Good job on getting the progesterone test slip! It will give you some peace of mind to get it done. I wanted more testing - but my RE said it wasn't needed since we already have severe male factor and would have to do ivf anyway. If next cycle doesn't work i'm going to push for some. All the best for your test!

Betty Rubble said...

Remember, the RE and his/her nurses work for YOU not the other way around! So I am glad you demanded and got what you wanted.

The only thing is...even if 7 dpo the progesterone is OK, that doesn't mean there isn't premature corpus luteum failure--I just learned that the other day--I didn't do my booster and look what happened! So keep an eye out for early AF even if P4 at 7 dpo is OK.

Sew Infertile said...

It sounds like to me your body is trying to tell you something.

I am sorry she dismissed progesterone so easily. Considering it is vitally important.

Blindly treating something could be covering up other issues that could be preventing you from becoming pregnant.

You are the vessel that brings life into this world. Of course concentrating on you is a great thing to do, considering the magnificant role you play in creation.

Infertility is a disease. When a disease is not treated properly, it never is cured.

Sorry, I have had so many bad experiences with Dr.'s who have just shrugged me & my infertility off. :) If progesterone wasn't important then why do we need it????

Sew Infertile said...

Sorry, me again! I think that you should completely listen to your intuition in dealing with infertility.

A great Dr. is not only a Dr. who can treat the disease at hand, but also treats the patient as a spiritual being. Listening to your intuition is vital, the voice doesn't speak to you just to waste its breath. Treating the whole woman is so important especially in this situation.

I Believe in Miracles said...

Interesting.

So my friend has early spotting too and my (our) doc told her that she wants to make sure nothing is wrong the front end of the cycle that is causing the spotting to start early.

I never did the progesterone blood test. Thought that was weird. I've also not been on PIO until the IVF. I know several ladies here who have had it with IUIs.

Hoping this test gives you some answers.

~~HUGS~~

Melissa said...

I am happy for you that you were able to get somewhere. I have the early spotting as well, I will definitely have to talk to the RE about it. Although I am not sure, but that might have been included in this last set of bloodwork I had done. How is your DH feeling about the surgery? Is he okay with it?

April said...

arg. i hate when i feel like i have to fight to get the tests that i want. on the one hand you have to trust that they know what they are doing, on the other hand you want some answers, too.

*hugs*