Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas memories-to-come

M and I enjoyed our 6th married Christmas together (4 married, 1 engaged, and 1 dating). I can't believe we've had that many together!! We've always split the day between our families and experienced some of the traditions we each grew up with.

This year, like all the rest, was a wonderful Christmas. And it wasn't difficult to experience our first infertile Christmas (it's weird to admit that). The infertile part didn't fit into any of my memories or expectations of Christmas day celebrations, so it didn't really come to mind. No babies or pregnant bellies to remind me. Pretty simple.

But at the end of the day, I went to bed slightly dissatisfied. And tired. We're ready to create new Christmas memories with our own children. I want to wake up on Christmas morning in our home, read the Christmas story, open gifts, enjoy a breakfast. Maybe even sing a Christmas hymn, or start other new traditions...

I don't know what it will look like, but I long for the Christmas memories-to-come.

5 comments:

April said...

I know! I don't know what I want to do, but I really look forward to creating new traditions and memories with my kids.

here's to a new year with new hope! cheers!

Betty Rubble said...

I too look forward to the new memories, what ever they look like!

Mary said...

It will happen soon, hon. Next Christmas you will have a baby in your arms or be VERY pregnant:)

gringa78 said...

Thinking of you, Hillary...you WILL have children to celebrate Christmas with and your holidays will be even more special because of what you are going through now. Hang in there...keeping you in my thoughts.

I Believe in Miracles said...

I echo that sentiment. We long for the day we can just be at home for Christmas. I don't think that will happen for awhile...

I'm hopeful for next year for you!!