Saturday, November 8, 2008

(Un) Officially struggling with infertility

I've read other TTC blogs and considered starting one when we began TTC. But then I thought it would be silly to start one when I might conceive within a few months, because then I would rather post pregnancy related news on my family/ friends private blog.

So 8 cycles into this journey I'm starting this blog. Conception already has not happened "quickly," and it looks like the road might be long. I say we're (un) officially struggling because no doctor has diagnosed anything yet.

My DH had a SA this past week, and he met with his doctor to go over the results. He called me on the way home to tell me that all the numbers were in the normal range except one. His motility is low. My first thought was relief -- at least he has sperm! And the count is normal! Whatever the motility is I'm sure we can work around it.

We went home at lunch and I did my initial Google search (it's dangerous to do but who can resist??). Tears followed. Lots. Wow, motility is pretty important. A normal motility percentage is 40-50% (some websites say 40% while others say 50%). M's is 3%. That's very low and I don't know what it really means for our TTC journey. Is there anything that can be done to help improve his motility? Could it be an error on the test? Is IVF the only option?

Wednesday was an emotional day that resulted in leaving work, prayer, a nap, talking to my best friend, and a raging headache. DH is wonderful, he said something to the effect of "This will probably be good for us." It's difficult to say but I know he's right. I pray we will grow in our relationships with God and with each other.

The verse we had read at our wedding almost 3.5 years ago:

"Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor the fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on high places." Habakkuk 3:17-19

All I can say at the onset of this journey is," Amen!"

1 comment:

gringa78 said...

Hi Hilaree...thanks for your comment on my blog. Please keep in touch and I'll keep you posted as to what happens with us too. I'm so glad to have found someone going through the same thing. :)